Today, let’s reduce the stigma associated with suicide; and let people who are struggling know that they are not alone.
Every 40 seconds someone loses their life to suicide.
Here are some ideas:
- If you are struggling, take 40 seconds to kick-start a conversation with someone you trust about how you are feeling.
- If you know someone who has lost a loved one to suicide, take 40 seconds to start a conversation and ask them how they are doing.
- If you are an employer or manager, take 40 seconds to formulate a positive message of support to your employees about resources available to them in the workplace or local community in times of mental distress.
Key facts and figures:
- Suicides are preventable.
- One person dies by suicide every 40 seconds.
- A prior suicide attempt is an important risk factor for suicide.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15-29 year-olds.